Sunday, December 20, 2015

Unconditional Love. Really?

Protecting my mum and her breakfast


The aftermath of being a new parent to a new baby is being told what to do. Of late, the main topic is learning. Is she learning to crawl yet? Can she sit up on her own yet? Is she able to soothe herself to sleep? Has she learnt to sleep through the night? And so on...

At this very moment, she isn't learning anything in particular. She's calmly taking yet another nap, arm upraised and her tiny mouth agape. I don't see a need for her to learning each time she's awake either, but that's probably for another post.

As I receive advice on how I ought to aid my daughter's learning, I find that I am the one learning from her instead. And in this very loving and caring Christmas Season, I'd like to reflect on one of these lessons from humblet...



Dear Humblet,

Thank you for not complaining about my oily hair, grubby T-shirts and pointing out my flabby arms. Also, I really am grateful that you smile at me a lot even though that turns into a frown whenever I whip out my phone for a photo.

Thank you for snuggling into my shoulder and accepting my torrents of kisses before you sleep at night. And for listening to all my troubles intently with that perpetual fierce look you have, it really cracks me up.

Thank you for being patient when I get your cries all wrong. Feeding you when you wanted a nap. Trying to put you to sleep when you needed a diaper change. Putting a cardigan on you when you were already melting away in the sling.

Most of all, thank you for showing me how it is to love unconditionally. Smiling when you see my tired face in the morning. Calming down in my arms when you were sobbing. Laughing at my lame jokes. Falling asleep in my arms after I put you through a tiring day.

Thank you for showing me what it means to love unconditionally. It is a learning process I'm happy to go through each day with you.

--------------------------------------

Grateful,
Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment