Monday, December 28, 2015

Firsts Frenzy (the Christmas post)

what do you mean its over?


Firsts are seriously overrated.

Every. Single. Thing is a first for a baby. Obviously.

But I'm terrible at documenting. When did she first suck her thumb? Go on her tummy? Roll over on her own? Who did she first smile at? What did she first grab? And the obsession with firsts is probably going to last till she's how old? I don't want to know.

Despite all my lamenting, there are several firsts I do want to document. Like her first swim and her first overseas trip etc. And of course her first Christmas.

Suffice to say, Christmas is a HUGE THING when you have a kid. Not that it's a small deal in itself. I mean every one morphs into smiley, relaxed people-like human beings during the Christmas season. Let's not forget the family, the feasting and the holidays.

But when you have a child, Christmas just explodes.

Get a tree! Wrap all the presents! Buy party hats! Dress her up! Order food!

So many imperatives, so little time.

This is a summary of her first Christmas...


Her grandmother's handiwork



1. Dinner Parties


Babies are not well-suited for dinner parties, let's make that dinner anything.

Humblet is usually in bed by eight in the evening. Rewinding that to include a bath, a massage and a full feed... meaning her bed time routine starts at quarter past seven or so.

Dinners typically have a six pm calling time, but by the time people actually start eating it's more like seven-ish. By which time, humblet is hungry, tired and well...hungry and tired.

What happens to an over stimulated baby at night?

Well, you will find out when you have your own. . .

Note to self: host Christmas brunches in future. After all brunch is perfect for cold cuts, cheese and wine! Maybe replace the wine with coffee. 

2. Presents


Babies receive a ton of presents. To a point, I started to feel bad receiving them.

My favourite was this four year old girl who came up to me shyly with a gift for humblet. When she handed it over, she was disappointed to find the little baby sleeping (yet again) so instead she turned to me solemnly and said, 'only baby Mya can open her present okay?'

I'll attempt to make that happen, but no promises.

3. Peeps


They just kept coming at her. People of all ages, shapes and sizes. They want to squeeze her cheeks, tickle her feet or wake her from her nap. Tough love.

To prevent her from getting stressed out from the constant changing of hands I try to keep her in the sling with me. Sometimes she falls asleep and other times she gets stressed out anyway. But I'm always grateful to have friends carry her when she's all happy and satisfied after a feed.


4. Playmates


After that difficult post, friends in the same stage of life have been sharing similar emotions and brilliant coping mechanisms. During Christmas, so many rallied around to invite us over for meals or bring us out for brunch or simply to have Mya try out their inflatable pool.

We are grateful that other people with humblet-sized babies are willing to hang out with us. We are even more grateful for those without babies and yet are willing to go out with us despite the threat of being embarrassed in a restaurant and all the other infant horror stories.

--

At the end of the day, tired as I am from shuttling my little koala to all these festivities, I find my tummy full of amazing food and my heart full of gratitude. And of course, a bomb shelter full of age inappropriate toys for one little girl. How can I not be thankful?



Hope you had a wonderful Christmas!

Grateful,
Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment