Thursday, July 2, 2015

What's wrong about rights?

#lovewins is the newest and latest hashtag to have, along with the passing of the law that now legalizes same sex marriage in the United States. Suddenly, my facebook feed is flooded with rainbows and profile pic updates.

Christians who have ventured to speak up against this law are under fire. Bible verses flame those who practice it as well as those who support it, while the recipient group fights back with equally vicious quotes. And the clashes continue as I type this. 

With this new bill in place, other groups of people are beginning to find strength and courage to demand for their rights and the recognition of their place in society as well.
When will this battle for rights ever end?

To say they are wrong and we are right is not my place or purpose. 

The bible sets standards which I fail to live by every single day, so who am I to impose these standards on people who do not believe in God or in His Word?

As a Christian, I think to myself - what right do I have to condemn, to withhold love when I am merely living each day by the grace of God?

Thinking about rights, I remember the story of Job. The beginning of the book emphasized how he was blameless and upright, the author described Job’s prosperous life and greatness in much detail. So much so the reader is left baffled when God suggests to Satan who then proceeds to take all of Job’s away, including his sons and daughters, his livestock and even plague his body with agonizing sores. This man had done nothing to deserve all that had happened to him, yet God allowed it anyway.

In the chapters that follow we see Job’s misery increase as his friends are unsympathetic to his plight. He even asks God to tell him exactly what he has done wrong and to take his life. God’s response is recorded over four chapters, most of it speckled with questions – ‘Where were you when I laid the earth’s foundation?”, “Have you ever given orders to the morning, or shown the dawn its place, that is might take the earth by the edges and shake the wicked out of it?” Or “Who has a claim against me that I must pay? Everything under heaven belongs to me.” 

Perhaps blinded by his suffering and placing hope in his own righteousness Job sought to question the Lord ‘face to face’. The image is that of a young child demanding his parent of his rights to own the house when he has no means of paying its mortgage. Or the sword telling the blacksmith who made him, that he thinks he'd be good as a bread knife. 

--

With these thoughts in mind, I'm taking the stance of prayer and repentance. 
Prayer that more would come to know and receive this loving and gracious God. 
Repentance, for I myself am guilty, daily, of evil thoughts and selfish deeds. 

May this verse be engraved upon my heart, always - “For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith – and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God – not by works, so that no one can boast. For we are God’s workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do”. Ephesians 2:8-10


consider the wildflowers


Give Generously
Laugh in abundance
Love Unceasingly


With Gratitude,
Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment