Monday, July 6, 2015

Monday Musings

To work or not to work

Motherhood Mondays - Working Mums


As mentioned in the Mother's Day Special, my mum held several jobs during the majority of my childhood years. On the contrary, most of my friends had mothers who were homemakers, many of whom would be at the school gate waiting for them at dismissal time.

It's the final month before the arrival of humblet and some issues we were previously sweeping under the carpet have become pertinent during our pillow talk sessions. Should we get a full-time nanny? Should I work from home? Go back to the office entirely? Or be fully dedicated to the home and humblet?

1. Homemaking is a full-time job 

The first thing we established is that being a homemaker is just like any full-time job. There is no doubt about it. In fact, the 'working hours' of a homemaker may be significantly longer that any other job description out there. Especially when you are dealing with a newborn who needs to be fed two-hourly.

So, like any full-time job it requires commitment, resilience and some amount of passion.

Friends and readers would know I'm not very fond of children, J.G. is more of the child-friendly half of this relationship. Which I am thankful for. But nature has dictated that I shall bear this child and I'm thankful I've had now nine months to let that FACT sink in.

2. Motherhood as a career

But on the flip side, if I were to consider motherhood as merely a career, I don't think I'll last very long. If motherhood were merely a job, that would make humblet merely a charge and me a guardian. Being a mum has a lot more aspects than that.

Educating and nurturing makes you a teacher.
Cooking and cleaning makes you the house help.
But to love, discipline and condition requires a parent. In fact, both parents.

3. Work from home

Currently, the plan is adjust to humblet for the first 3 months of her arrival (while she adjusts to me as her mum) Then try out a largely work-from-home flexi arrangement. Call clients, email manpower and document projects.

I wouldn't call myself a career woman, but I do enjoy my work very much. At this point, I see no reason letting it go unless I suddenly had twins (phew) But I won't be presumptuous to jump back into work full swing once the maternity leave runs out. So we shall take it a day at a time.

4. The best caregiver

Over and above all that's been said and all the opinions we've been offered, we feel that the parent makes the best option as caregiver to a child. A nanny might be a wonderful cook and a strict disciplinarian, but nothing replaces what a mum can offer.

I'm definitely going to make heaps of mistakes as a new mum. Bath water might be too cold, clothing might be too warm, milk might be too thin etc. But I'm determined to love this child with lots of help and I don't think any professional nanny can do that on my behalf.


p.s. our baby stores are exploding! thanks for all the practical love!

Grateful,
Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment