Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Monday in Mourning, March 23rd, 2015

Lee Kuan Yew 1923 - 2015


'You're asking the wrong question',
He firmly told the young reporter.


'So?'
He challenged the new minister.


'When it is time, I will know.'
He concluded of his retirement.





Yesterday, it was as though a dark cloud was cast over our sunny island. The radio channels and TV stations eerily sent his voice booming through old telecasts, as though that were their way of prolonging his time with us.

The image chosen for the Wall Street Journal Tribute, a telling one. 


After a day has past, I find my thoughts gravitating towards my country, Singapore. And it is with her in mind, I fumble to pen down the words to this eulogy -

He's gone, you say, who's gone?
The one who's in my head. 
His voice I could not shake,
but now I stand forlorn.

He's gone, I say, he's gone!
The hero once that day,
Merdeka! He proclaimed,
on shoulders like a god.

He's gone, they mouth, its true.
The media wouldn't lie, 
coffee shop talk ignite,
a legend has withdrew.

Singapore's still here, you know?
I meekly raise my head...
The nation remains a state.
She's here, you know, not dead. 

--

Gratitude is the only political stance I am willing to take. I cannot condone the misdeeds, neither can unread some of the things he said, he did. But I find no justification in condemning either, as my nation remains academically successful, highly sought after, deeply respected (I cannot deny) in part, because of this man's insistence on the way things should be done. Presidents and statesmen recognise him as an national icon, the older generation fear him as a leader and I have much to be grateful for.

Fare thee well Sir, Singapore lives on.

Grateful,
Amy






No comments:

Post a Comment